Friday, January 21, 2011

What Can YOU Do?!

BH

Shalom. This week I experienced something new. And let me tell you, this experience froze me. Literally.

On Sunday morning, I awoke to catch my flight at Miami International Airport. Destination: John F. Kennedy International, Terminal eight in New York City’s borough of Queens.

The temperature in Miami was a robust 69 degrees Fahrenheit. Pretty nice weather I’d say. Several hours after my arrival in the Big Apple, I boarded a bus. This time the destination was Montreal, Canada.

As we approached Montreal the temperature dropped and dropped. Then dropped some more. I was in Montreal about an hour when the temperature had bottomed out at a crisp -9 F. That’s a temperature change of nearly 80 degrees in less than 24 hours. Chilling if I may say so! How special that moment. True G-dliness in the world, for me to see (and feel!).

Anyways, speaking of JFK, yesterday actually marked 50 years since the former president’s 1961 inaugural address. I wasn’t around, so clearly I don’t remember it but research tells me that the address was delivered shortly after noon on a bitter cold Friday in the Nation’s capital.

During the 44th inaugural address, JFK delivered one of the most famous (and shall I say, overused) quotes in American history (and I will overuse it one more time): “And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!”

JFK was calling on the people of his generation to not sit by idly waiting to be asked to do something good for the nation and the world at large. He was encouraging them to be proactive and take that first step on their own. Get up, get out, do some good!

In this weeks Parsha, Parshat Yitro (named for Moshe’s father-in-law), we are called upon in that fashion. We are taught through the actions of G-d (and the wording in the Torah) to get out and teach the world what we know. To contribute to society with our skills and talents. To help others that may even be afraid to approach for help!

The Torah tells us that G-d "descended" onto Mt. Sinai. Strange wording considering G-d more likely should have asked the nation to ‘elevate’ themselves?! (Not to mention, is not G-d already everywhere, leaving no reason to ‘descend’ or ‘climb’?)

Thereabout lies our lesson in everyday life! G-d Chose to come down to the Jewish Nation, to deliver them a strong message, a list of commandments, and a promise that they will always be his chosen nation. He didn't wait for the Jewish people to come to him. He wanted to share it right away!

Some people need food, others money, and still others just need a friend, or shoulder to lean on. If we have it, we are not to sit idly and wait to be asked! We need to get out there and bring these people what they need. And teach them to do the same! With whatever they have.

The Rebbe taught that if you only know the Hebrew letter aleph then go teach someone that doesn’t know about the aleph! Whatever you know, or whatever you can do, its important to share it. Together we can all make the world a better place.

We can make it the place G-d intended on the day He delivered the Ten Commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment